Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Proposal From Sungi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shazia Bakar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Proposal from SUNGI Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

Attached please find a proposal and budget from SUNGI detailing providing shelter for earthquake victims in Shaukatabad District Mansehra.

I have also attached a map of the Mansehra region which was provided by SUNGI.

If you have any questions please ask.

Thanks,

Bitmap in Backup_of_Map for SHAUKATABAD.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Bitmap in Backup_of_Map for SHAUKATABAD.jpg
 Filesize:  364.45 KB
 Downloaded:  3841 Time(s)

Proposal Document[1].doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Proposal Document[1].doc
 Filesize:  60.5 KB
 Downloaded:  3275 Time(s)

Budget ADP(1).xls
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Budget ADP(1).xls
 Filesize:  16 KB
 Downloaded:  1470 Time(s)

Shazia Bakar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Brief Summary of Sungi's Proposal. Please respond by 11/20 Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Here is a brief summary of SUNGIís Proposal which I posted on the forum a few weeks ago.

SUNGI's plan is to:
Provide 150 Tents to house 1050 people in Shaukatabad Union council of Oghi, District Manshera
Provide 300 bedding (blankets) to affected communities
Ensure effective distribution of 300 plastic sheets at community levels.

Duration: 3 months

Budget: Rs. 2,173,520 (US Dollars 36,225)

The cost seems high to me. We should decide whether we would like to fund this project soon as they sent this proposal a while ago. Please let me know whether you think ADP should consider funding this project and if you have any questions regarding this proposal by 11/20/05.

Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shazia,

I am tempted to decline this for two reasons:

1. We are already supporting immediate shelter provision through RSD at zero overhead relative to the 17% going towards implementation and mgmt overhead in SUNGI's proposal.

2. This is not redevelopment, which means we can't use the money in the ADP fund towards it. I think we are not going to be able to raise $36k incrementally. Also, since we are already supporting immediate relief through Edhi and RSD, I would like to devote our future eartquake efforts towards redevelopment and reconstruction.

-Tarim
Sarah Karim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the points mentioned by Tarim, another point to note is that it is interesting that SUNGI is considering tents over a time period of three months, when a lot of other organizations (including RSD) are actually moving towards alternative shelter than tents for semi-permenant housing to last through the winter months - shelter that is more insulating that tents, and at a cheaper cost price, with some where heating/cooking can take place inside the home.

FYI - there are two sorts of shelter that most organizations are focusing on over the next few months (i.e. semi-permanent shelter) in the most hard-hit areas:

1) Mud/wood wall homes with corrugated tin sheets as roofs (being implemented by TCF/ Indus Earth/ EHD and several private initiatives - if you would like to see reports on this, I can email you separately)

2) Bori/Sandbag homes. RSD has just received pictures/reports from our volunteers working on the ground that have tried/tested this model as initiated by us (at a cost price of about $45) and will be sharing with Omar/ADP shortly (our pictures can be viewed at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghettop/sets/1364283/).

An interesting thing to note is that CalEarth (California based organization) has been partnering with local organizations in Pakistan as a *profit-making* business (with the smallest home costing about $600-$700) using a similar idea to boris, and an email I received about a week ago from SUNGI shared that they were also sending some of their people to CalEarth for training. (see http://www.calearthpakistan.org/ for pictures of their model)

This is not to say that tents are *not* needed - they work fine in the lower plains, and possibly in the area that SUNGI has identified as well, especially depending on the types of tents they are. I do share the above just as an FYI.
M. Sajjad Haider

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with Sarah about the current types of shelter that are being sought and the clear advantages of each. But i would like to point out that the weather in Shaukatabad UC is not as extreme as in other places. Hence tents may be feasible weather-wise.

Also, this project was submitted a number of days back and alternative shelter types had not reallybeen finalized then. I hope and am quite positive that SUNGI is well aware of the alternatives now.

As far as this project goes, as Tarim mentioned, this has high administrative costs and we have better options available for our funding. But i am not clear about the point about it not being redevelopment. Although some of the objectives of the project are directed towards relief but providing shelters should surely come under redevelopment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Earthquake Relief All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: