Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Ehd Clean Drinking Water Project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mahjabeen Quadri
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: EHD Clean Drinking Water Project Reply with quote

Hi All,

EHD has recently sent us an earthquake redevelopment proposal for some of the villages they helped us (ADP and RSD) provide tents to during earthquake relief.

EHD got their start in development work through providing tube wells in remote villages and running primary schools. This is their area of expertise. I am attaching their original proposal sent that lists all the villages that need tube well. We will only be looking at Khandaku, Nathgran, Karnota, Riyala and Dana that are in the earthquake region. Each village needs 8 wells, minimum 6, and the cost of each well is $1,000. So the cost of funding one village is $8,000.

They have also sent us another proposal for replenishing livestock lost during the quake. ADP-SF is in the process of working out the details and I will send you the details as soon as they are ironed out.

I spoke to the head of EHD over the weekend and we discussed the option of focusing on one village. Their second project for replenishing livestock is very interesting and it would be nice see if it could be implemented in the same villages as the Clean Drinking Water Project.

Providing water is an essential element of any redevelopement strategy. As we start to review and fund more earthquake projects perhaps we can think of allocating a certain percentage of the funds for basic needs like water, education, health, etc projects. The idea behind this suggestion is that we that we limit our spending of fund on only one kind of project.

ADP-SF has given this project its initial go ahead. I would like to solicit opinions, questions, concerned about this project before my next schedule called with EHD in about two weeks time.

Looking forwards to your responses and will keep you posted as I get info back from EHD.

Thanks,

Mahjabeen

DrinkingWaterProject_whole.doc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  DrinkingWaterProject_whole.doc
 Filesize:  111.5 KB
 Downloaded:  1194 Time(s)

Justin Stone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mahjabeen,

It would be wonderful to support both needs within individual communities. If we are able to do this, perhaps we can get help from EHD in identifying other needs or innovative proposals benefiting the same population.

In Boston, we are eager to begin proving the ADP model vis-a-vis holistic development by supporting complementary projects.

Did I understand correctly that the SF chapter has already taken on both of these EHD projects?

~Justin
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely agree with Justin - we are pushing hard to focus on one village for both needs. Mahjabeen has been leading the charge for now on both fronts, but perhaps we can have separate chapters evaluate the livestock and the drinking water portions? The key will be to make sure we share all the background information on the village and EHD with each other, so that we're not repeating the same questions with them. Since this is an earthquake project, we will need approval from all ADP voting members in the end anyway.

What do you think MJ?
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the SF chapter is looking into the Clean Drinking Water project. I have been in contact with EHD and we are trying to narrow it down to one village that we can look to implement both their Clean Drinking Water project and Sustainable Livelihood Project. My underestanding is that the Virginia chapter is interested in the Sustainable Livelihood project so we should to identify one village that both the SF and Virginia can work on.

I spoke to them two weeks ago and stressed we want to concentrate on one or at the most two villages. Yesterday I received a formal letter from them, that though is more refined, but still vague. Here's the set of questions that I have sent back to them.

Water Project Questions

Critical Need
o ADP can only fund 1 or 2 villages with a cap of $10-$15k on the water project. Which high priority village(s) would EHD choose? Why?
o What else has EHD done in these specific villages to date? Describe services, # of families served etc.
o Are the villagers asking for tube wells? Is this the most urgent need they have? How does EHD know?
o What are the current alternatives? How far do people trek to get water?
o What is the quality of the water they get now? Are there water-borne diseases being observed? Would tube well water be better quality?
Cost-effective Impact
o How can we be sure that this will work (eg. is the water table high enough, is salty water a problem, how soon do the wells dry up etc)? Are there other tube wells in the area? Has EHD done this before in the general area?
o How did EHD estimate the number of wells needed? How did they estimate budget per well?
o Will tube well water just be used for drinking? If yes, where will they get water for other purposes (bathing, cooking etc)? If no, how does EHD know that there is sufficient water available?
Sustainability
o Who owns the land where we will dig the tube wells?
o Who will be responsible for maintenance/spare parts?
o What is the expected life of the wells? What happens afterwards?
Measurability
o Receipts of all expenditures
o Pictures of wells and people using them
Team / Organization
o Does EHD have people stationed in the village? If not, how frequently do their reps visit?
o Who does EHD work with specifically in the village? Elders council, community-based groups?
o Are other NGOs also working in the area? What are they working on?

I will keep everyone posted as I receive more information. Also I am looking for feedback and advise from you guys on any area or aspect that I may have missed out on.

Thanks,

Mahjabeen
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mahjabeen and Tarim,

Thanks. At this stage, I think you have covered all of the gating questions. Incredibly comprehensive! Looking forward to seeing this one evolve...

~Justin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Earthquake Relief All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: