Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

A Talk Oppurtunity For Adp - Dr. Abdul Hameed Nayyar
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea to put it online. Adnan, I am observing an online seminar for Flash Video on Tuesday. I'll send you the info if you want to participate as well...

Natasha will have left by then, so I don't think we'll be able to use her camera. Does anyone else have one?

I don't mind sharing the cost of the event, but in general I think ADP should be looking for sponsors (maybe corporate) for this kind of event... In this case, maybe a local business...

Dinner at someone's house also sounds very good. Our place is a bit small, though... Can anyone else be a backup, if you will be in NY? I think we are looking at Sunday, Aug 21 for the talk.

~Justin
Danish Saleem

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we just have him come on Sunday morning and fly him back in evening, save the hotel cost. I am guessing it would be only an hour flight.
Aamir Mian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious... what are we trying to get out of this presentation?
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few questions were raised yesterday relative to this.

-Why are we scheduling this while students are away? Can we reschedule for the Fall?

-Can we contact Boston-area Pakistani professors and scholars to participate in a panel discussion?

Also, the importance of marketing the event to the right audience was emphasized...
Omar Biabani

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is this talk being arranged in August?

Dr. Nayyar was originally visiting US (visiting professor at Princeton University) from June until August. He was requested to take some time out for a few talks in the United States. He will be on the East Coast until the end of August after which he is flying to south & then west. He will then depart for Pakistan from the west coast by end of September. Here is a list of his scheduled talks. We got the latest possible date in August.

August 13 or 14 - Washington, DC
August 20 - Boston, MA (ADP)
September 4-6 - Atlanta, GA (South Asians for Unity)
September 7-9 Portland, OR (Asoc. for Communal Harmony in Asia)
September 10-13 San Jose / Los Angeles, CA (South Asia Forum & SAN )

What are we trying to get out of this presentation?

From time to time, we have invited and interacted with folks who have ground experience in matters related to the development of Pakistan. Dr Nayyar would be our third guest, the previous two being Sami Mustafa and Ali Raza Khan. I am hoping this talk will inform and educate us on the research conducted by Dr. Nayyar.

I have found such interactions, especially the informal gathering & Q/A before the actual talk, to be a very valuable learning experience. Being distant from the physical location of the project and other related factors that come with it, these talks shine a different light on the development as it is taking place on the ground. Moreover, the people who we invite to speak have usually spent a huge amount of time with the very same people whose lives we want to improve. It is very important for us to get as close as possible to the people we want to help in order to better understand them and their needs.

Besides, ADP's own learning, I hope this talk will attract other interested individuals.

Can we contact Boston-area Pakistani professors and scholars to participate in a panel discussion?

I think it is a good idea which probably requires more thinking. I wouldnn't want to invite two other professors just for the sake of creating a panel of three. There are pros and cons of both setup - individual speaker VS a panel. Does anyone have names that we can think of inviting ? Chances are, the overall program length will increase from 2 hours to probably 4 or more hours if we want the speakers to talk in depth about their research/subject.
Bilal Arif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order for us to have a nice audience, the best way to advertise this event would be to send an email invitation to all Boston based organizations like PAGB, AID India, Appna etc.

This invitation in addition to time, date and place should include the topic, objective in relation to ADP's mission/goals and back ground on Dr. Nayyar including some of his recent publications.

I would like him at the end to discuss some of the projects we are currently evaluating and highlight their importance. We can then make a pitch for fundraising at the end.

Omar, do you have this information especially the topic? We can formulate the objective ourselves and brief Dr. Nayyar before the talk on our current projects.
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like the right approach. In addition, I wonder if we can strategically place some flyers. The event should hold interest beyond the South Asian communities... I'll think more about where else we could promote it. Does anyone have any ideas?

~Justin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Events All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: