Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Donation Collection For Pia. No Where To Go

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rizwan Akhtar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: donation collection for PIA. No where to go Reply with quote

Over here in the D.C, area, following PIA instructions we collected over 1000 tents, 100 crutches, 2000 Blankets and a huge number of sleeping bags and warm clothes. This stuff is probably going to fit in three 42 ft containers. PIA informed us yesterday that they are no longer flying this to Pakistan. I believe the response was more than what they expected. So now we have all the stuff but no where to go. I think with the help of cash donations we will be able to figure out how to ship this to Pakistan. Can somebody point me in the direction of an NGO that will be able to off load this in Pakistan and carry it to the people in need.
Thanks
Rizwan
Mahjabeen Quadri
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rizwan,
That is an amazing figure that your team has collected! Awesome work by you and your team. I am sorry to hear that PIA has suspended its transportation offer and it would be a pity if the tents don't get to Pakistan in time.

It probably will be a logistical nightmare but perhaps you could seperate out the tents and the crutches and appeal to PIA to reconsider its position since tents and cruthes are an immediate need.

I am not aware of any other organization in the DC region that is shipping collected items to Pakistan. I would recommend that you contact PakPrideLive http://www.pakpridelive.com/GcPak.htm and talk to one of their volunteers. Find out how they are shipping their items. They are located in NY and NJ so perhaps you may consider renting a Uhaul and driving down.

Shipping usually cost around $2,400. They reach in around 2 months time. Reports have come back saying that clothes are now a low priority so they could perhaps be shipped in collaboration with some other group so as to share the cost (depends on how much you have).

I would recommend pushing for the tents and crutches to be sent by air. Try talking to the Pakistani Embassy... go to their office. They usually are very helpful.

Mahjabeen
Niveen Sayeed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: contact Reply with quote

Rizwan,

The CFO of the world bank in islammabad is also actively helping overseas relief efforts, you may want to contact him I can email you his phone numbers if you are interested....his name is Ahmed Jamal

Also the Barry Hoffman (consul gen) might be able to help, hes very accessible and helpful...

let me know if either of these sound like ppl you'd like to get in touch with...
Rizwan Akhtar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Just to make things clear. There is a whole group and community working
on this. I am just a worker. The cost of one container (42 ft) from pick up in Sterling, VA to delivery in Karachi (thru Baltimore) was quoted to us at $5500. We have stuff worth at least 3 containers. Mahjabeen, can please clarify the $2400 number. What it includes?
We think we may have enough funding to ship the 3 containers. However it would be nice to have the contact info for Ahmad Jamal and Barry Hoffman. I would be a very good idea to get in touch with them. We definetly under estimated the logistical issues we are facing now.
We have prioritized the items. Tents, Medicines, Crutches, Slings , Wheel chairs etc will go first. Next would be Sleeping Bags, Blankets. I have to say a lot of stuff might get donated to the salvation army.
We have commitment from one NGO Rural Support Network (www.rspn.org) in Pakistan to receive this delivery
Rizwan Akhtar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Just and update. We are in good shape and will be able to send out everything we collected on Saturday.
Rizwan
Usman Khan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one California-based organization, Hidaya Foundation, that is still sending shipments to Pakistan. They may ask for some money along with the boxes to help cover the shipping costs. You can find more information at

http://www.hidaya.org/

Ofcourse you would also have to find a way of covering shipping/transportation costs for sending the boxes from the east coast to the west coast - this can become quite substantial by itself. Hope this helps.
Mahjabeen Quadri
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rizwan,

Could you let us know how you were able to resolve the issue? There are some frantic emails being passed back and forth about some medicines and aid items stuck in JFK. Medicines and tents are an immediate need and sending them by containers may reduce their utility. Were you guys able to send your tents by air?
Rizwan Akhtar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of generous help from our local donors, we will be able to ship the items to Pakistan tomorrow (all of it). We are not taking any more donations right now but are trying to get more organized for future donation drives.
Sheeza Zuberi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI

For West coast collections:
Delta and American airlines are helping with taking goods to the east coast. I believe there are no shipping costs.

Roohi Abdullah

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: donation collection for PIA. No where to go Reply with quote

So what happens when the stuff reaches the east coast. PIA is not taking the stuff to Pakistan. The west coast should consolidate their effort on the with other organization who were involved in collecting stuff and send collectively to Pakistan directly from there.
Usman Khan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are delta and american only flying goods to the east coast ? ... do they have flights sending packages from the east to the west for free ? If its free, maybe we can coordinate something with Hidaya.
Sheeza Zuberi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is easier to co ordinate with Pakistan embassy
They have drop pff points and are very helpful

PH # 1 877 363 2222
contact person Capt Waheed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Earthquake Relief All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: