Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Adp Earthquake Response
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: ADP Earthquake Response Reply with quote

Quick update from me.... I've talked to various folks through the day and we are trying to figure out which organizations are best-prepared to respond based on their network in the Northern Areas, current mobilization, credibility etc. Once we have a credible org, we will start collecting donations via our web site. This will hopefully be online beginning Sunday night/Monday morning.

- In the meanwhile, Adnan has put a brief update on our web site on what we are doing and sent an e-mail to the 50-60 folks on our mailing list in Pakistan to ask them if they can recommend a credible NGO

- Omar has talked to Ali Raza Khan (YES network) and they are planning to set up a camp in Rawalpinidi to coordinate relief efforts to the north. He will send us a more fleshed out plan in the next 24h.

- My old roommate is checking in with AKDN's FOCUS which has a strong presence in the northern areas and is specfically focused on disaster relief to figure out what they are doing.

- Maria at LVS (LUMS volunteer society) will get back to us tomorrow after getting in touch with Edhi to see if we can channel aid through them

- My family will talk to Edhi's office in Islamabad as well on Sunday

If you have any other ideas/contacts, please share them here.
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be more inclined to go direrctly through the government;

[b]President's relief fund established for earthquake victims Islamabad, Oct 8 PPI: The President's relief fund has been established for the victims of the earthquake. People including overseas Pakistanis have been appealed to generously donate. Donations can be made in all branches of State Bank of Pakistan, all treasury branches and branches of National Bank, Habib Bank, United Bank, Muslim Commercial Bank and Allied Bank in the country. (Posted @ 22:50 PST)[/b]

But I am not sure how we would get the money to them. I think Maham's suggestion, Edhi, is also definitely a viable option. But I just feel the government has also set up a earthquake related comopaint cell in the Prime Minister House and might be better positioned t know exactly how to best use the money.

[b] Relief Cell established in Prime Minister House ISLAMABAD, Oct 8 (APP): "Earthquake Relief Cell" has been established in Prime Minister House. It will work round the clock and will receive complaints from the earthquake affectees. The phone numbers are: 9213891 or 9222999. Earthquake Relief Cell has also been established in the Ministry of Interior.(Posted @ 16:15 PST)[/b]

My prayers are with anyone who has loved ones in the areas effected. May God be with the people of Pakistan.

Amen,

Khurram
Abdur-Rahim Syed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Govt, Edhi, MSF, PaksMIT Reply with quote

I'd be less inclined to go through the government - not sure I trust the bureaucracy to efficiently handle the funds. For example, I remember readng that a signinficant portion of the tsunami funds that the Sri Lankan government collected remained unnaccounted for. Not sure the Pakistani bureaucracy is significantly more trustworthy.

On Edhi: Edhi started out of Karachi, and is still heavily based there - just don't know how active and how large it's network is in northern Pakistan.

I've always been a big fan of Doctors Without Borders (MSF), but their website hasn't shown any activity on the quake yet. I'll keep an eye on it.

Finally, PaksMIT is organizing fundraising efforts for later this week (basically setting up a table with posters, etc., and asking for donations). Is this something we want to help out in, or are we more efficient separately?

-abdur-rahim-
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, regardless of which org we choose to support (Red Crescent, Government, etc.), we can collect the contributions through our website in an ADP fund, and send in a lump some (or several) to the org, if necessary. This way, inability of the orgs to process donations online is not a problem...

Tarim, let us know what you hear about a credible org with sufficient capacity in the north.

Regarding the possibility of giving to the government, are people comfortable with this? Is there sufficient transparency to beleive the $ is going to the right place?

~Justin
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unicef is also out in front on this:

http://www.unicefusa.org/site/apps/nl/content2.asp?c=duLRI8O0H&b=39306&ct=1495605
Khurram Jamali

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My conversations with people, as well as the views expressed on this forum lead me to believe that there is a risk of going through the government, mainly the lack of transparency; we all know the problems most developing countries have with corruption.

I was at the IMPAK presentation today and was astounded at the presence of more than 100 people. I also got a chance to make an announcement regarding ADP's funda raising plans related to the earthquake. Unfortunately, most of the people were more interested in the food and mingling rather than the earthquake, so I don't think we are going to geta substantial benefit from the announcement here in DC.

As far as the other NGOs go, apart from collecting online to te to an NGO on the ground in Pakistan that we consider to be the most viable option, I don't think it would be a bad idea to have links to all the options that we considered on the ground in Pakistan, on our website; we shouldn't force the people that come to our website to go the route of the NGO that we think is the best, and should be giving the option to our members to either go through us or dnoate directly to any of the NGOs that they feel strongly about.

Maybe we should have a link to the our Earthquake fund, followed by the other options?
Mubarik Imam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Khurram. We should have a separate page for Earthquake relief efforts (so people can differentiate that the money is going to the earthquake victims instead of our projects).Also putting up a list of organizations like UNICEF, Red Cross etc. which are accepting online donations sounds great. If people want to donate directly to these organizations they can.Otherwise if they want their money to reach organizations like Edhi they can donate it to ADP. (Apparently Edhi has bank accounts in the US that you can donate to).

PAGB might be asking ppl to donate money through our website (plz refer to the email correspondence for that). Paksmit is also asking ppl to donate through the website. It'll be great if we can somehow have a separate page (or an additional field which someone can check off for donations to the earth quake funds).
Angbeen Mirza

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Oxfam GB site says they've started work in the stricken areas. The site is pasted below

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/what_we_do/emergencies/country/asian_quake/index.htm

I'm checking with Red Crescent and the ICRC and will let everyone know when I find out myself.

Many consignments of money, food and clothing are going from Lahore. As soon as I get a reliable bank account that I know is going to be very productive, I'll post it here on the forum.
Angbeen Mirza

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Edhi and Islamic Relief are being recommended by the LUMS faculty as worthy of donations.
Adnan Khalid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly believe that ADP should select one, at the most two, well known and large organizations (possibly including the Presidents relief fund) to direct online donations to. We should not get into the business of collecting funds for ALL relief organizations. I am open to putting up information and links to other organizations though. We should select those one or two organizations soon. If we cannot decide by tonight then we should by default select the Edhi Foundation as it fits most people's comfort level in terms of being credible and effective with a proven track record. For those who doubt the presence of Edhi in areas outside of Karachi, it is not so and they are very active in the earthquake affected areas as well. Edhi himself is in Islamabad overseeing the relief efforts. That said, areas further north are currently inaccessible to the same degree to all organizations including the army.

I am putting together below a brief list of organizations/people that have reached me or I have come accross myself so far. Like I said, lets select one or two from this list and move forward.

President's Relief Fund
Donations can be made in all branches of State Bank of Pakistan, all treasury branches and branches of National Bank of Pakistan, Habib Bank, United Bank, Muslim Commercial Bank and Allied Bank.

Excerpt from http://www.presidentofpakistan.gov.pk/PRPressReleaseDetail.aspx?nPRPressReleaseId=1456&nYear=2005&nMonth=10

I ensure you all that there would be accountability of all your donations and you would know exactly how much money is pouring in and how much is being spent. Pervez Musharraf

They do NOT collect donations online.

Edhi
Has a wide network in Pakistan and I have been told they also have a bank account in the US to accept donations.

Red Crescent Society
http://www.prcs.org.pk/

Oxfam
http://www.oxfam.org.uk/what_we_do/emergencies/country/asian_quake/index.htm

The do collect donatiosn online.

Mir Shakil ur Rehman Foundation
http://www.mkrf.org
Late Mir Shakil ur Rehman is the founder the Jang group of newspapers and the Geo television network.
MKRF Earthquake Relief Fund
UBL Account No. 0102598-5
For International Transfer
Swift Code: (UNILPKKA)
Email: pukar@mkrf.org

Banner advertisement: www.jang-group.com/ads/msr_chmp/banner_2_full.gif

The do NOT collect donations online.

Hidaya Foundation
P.O. Box 5481
Santa Clara, CA 95056
www.hidaya.org

The do collect donations online

YES Network Pakistan
Headed by Ali Raza who has visited Boston in the past upon ADP's invitation and has met many members in the past. They are organizing several temas of volunteers to carry out relief work.

They do NOT collect donations online
Mohammed Anjarwala

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest post links up very quickly, since time is of the essence. Once the news cycle changes many non-Pakistani's will forget about this. We need to decide quickly. I would also suggest that we open an account where we collect funds directly for ADP which would be used sepcifically for long term development of regions and people affected by the earthquake.

-Mohammed
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Focus and next steps Reply with quote

We need to focus and make a decision.

It has been nearly 36 hours since the disaster struck. There has been a lot of good thinking here and outreach from other groups interested in partnering.

We could debate the pros and cons of various groups indefinitely, but urgent disaster planning requires urgent and imperfect decision-making.

As I see it, we have two urgent goals:

1. Facilitate contributions to the relief effort (immediately) in an ADP fund, directed to 1 or 2 specific organizations

2. Enable visitors to our website to contribute to other reputable organizations as they see fit.

More to come on next steps...
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spoke with Adnan, and based on all available information, we would like to move forward in the following way:

-Select Edhi and the President's Fund as two organizations ADP will collect contributions for. (Neither accept online donations as of now). Two seperate options will be available, addressing the concerns of people who do not want to give to the government.

-The ADP home page will contain summary text about the disaster and our fund(s)

-An internal site page will summarize the two organitations we have chosen to support directly and provide seperate links for making a contribution

-Below these links, we will provide a list and summary text for all known reputable organizations involved in the effort. We will include links where possible.

In the interest of time, all contributions will be directed into the ADP account. We will be able to track the different designations, and redirect the funds accordingly.

At this point, I assume we will be tranferring funds to the Edhi and the President's Fund frequently over the next few days.

We expect to have this online within the next 2 hours. Is everybody comfortable with this approach?

Can somebody update PAGB with our recent thinking? This solution should fit well with their intentions...

~Justin
Ali Syed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard from Pakistan, Edhi is actively involved in the relief effort. Going with them is a good option, along with President's Fund as the second.

Also, for those who are uncomfortable with these two, we could possibly provide a link to UNICEF thru our website, who've started relief effort for children

http://www.unicefusa.org/site/apps/nl/content2.asp?c=duLRI8O0H&b=39306&ct=1495605
Mahjabeen Quadri
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The approach makes sense. FYI: My father talked to Mr. Edhi himself today who is directing their efforts from Islamabad. They are using their helicopters to ship medicines and supplies into the affected areas already. He recommended depositing money with their office in NYC (info is on the web).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Earthquake Relief All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: