Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Response

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omer Masud

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Response Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the ADP network, so really dont know how things work. I was hoping to get some information about other people in the nyc area who are willing to help out. It would be great if we could organize a fundraiser in each of the major banks, or try and coordinate something together.

As you know, just organizing an event would take time, so i am hoping that in the next month or so we can raise some funds and send them to Pakistan. The funds can be focused on re-development issues (schools,books etc..) rather than immediate help.

Let me know what everyone thinks.

Regards
Omer
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omer,

I think that's a great idea. We have already been discussing the need for raising money for long-term redevelopment as well. One thing we could quickly is to share a list of folks in our network in your area (NY?) with you, so that you can start communicating with them to coordinate fundraising. Let us know if that would be helpful.

Tarim
Omar Biabani

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omer,

One of our member, Jawaad Mahmood, is also in NY. You can get in touch with him at 917-679-5856 or via email jawaadmahmood@yahoo.com
Omer Masud

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please do share your contacts...the more help, the better.
Thank you

Regards
Sarah Karim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Long Term Development: Partnering with local NGO Reply with quote

Salaams all -

I've not been able to follow all the discussion, so sorry to repeat any info, but The Citizens Foundation is working on earthquake relief in two phases, and if ADP would like to partner with it with its second phase, it could really use the help/money (as I believe you've allocated funds already for immediate relief). I'm posting the message below as posted by the Fundraising Consultant out of the UK as an FYI; the website will insh'Allah have information shortly (see www.thecitizensfoundation.org to learn more about TCF). I believe the TCF team in Karachi is currently working around the clock to implement the two-phased program.

Also - I would like to add that I have personally worked at TCF for a year and they are an amazing organization that truly will be working to reach the people it sets out to help. Although its primary focus is building schools and education, I have no qualms that their resources and connections will truly reach the people of Pakistan.

Yours,
Sarah

http://www.justgiving.com/TCFearthquakerelieffund

Dear Friends,

The weekend's events have saddened us all, and it is our earnest hope that all your family and friends in the region are safe and well. We have been asked by so many of you already whether FTCF, as a charitable organisation that you trust, will take donations for the earthquake emergency relief efforts in Pakistan.

The need and suffering is of such a magnitude that the TCF head office team in Karachi met yesterday to deliberate the issue and consequently decided that TCF would use its resources to focus on a specific program to alleviate the misery. At the urgent requests of its well-wishers and donors from the four provinces of Pakistan and overseas, TCF has put together a vehicle to bring relief to the victims of this national calamity.

TCF's two-phased strategy to provide systematic relief to the survivors of the earthquake in the Northern Areas and Azad Kashmir is as follows:

Immediate Relief: Starting today, we will provide basic care packages including tents, blankets and food rations to 20,000 affected people for the next seven days, for which we need Pak Rupees 30 Million (300,000)

Permanent Housing: In the second phase we plan to construct 5,000 seismically designed homes each costing Pak Rupees 400,000 (4,000). This will be a programme with a limited time frame of 2 years.

To date, TCF has concentrated its resources in the area of mass education. For this one off initiative, we have joined hands with the following organizations who will implement this relief and re-building plan. These are:

Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) - national airline with a cargo facility
International Brands Limited (IBL) - a national distribution company
Institute of Architects of Pakistan
Association of Consulting Engineers of Pakistan

Donations to the TCF earthquake relief fund will be strictly segregated from our on going education programme and used specifically for short term relief.

Basic info about the TCF Relief Fund, contact details and the donation methods will be made available on our website www.ftcf.org.uk
You can make donations to the TCF Relief Fund through the following methods:

-With your credit card
JustGiving website

- Cheques or bank drafts
Cheques or bank drafts must be made in favour of 'TCF Relief Fund' and mailed directly to TCF in Pakistan at:
The Citizens Foundation, Relief Fund Office, 9th Floor, NIC Building, Abbasi Shaheed Rd, Karachi-75530, Pakistan.

- Deposits or direct bank transfers
Deposits or direct bank transfers can be made into the following account in Pakistan:
Title of Account: TCF Relief Fund
Bank: Askari Commercial Bank Ltd.
Account no: (PKR) 015-010104331-7
Swift Code: ASC-MPKKA
Branch: Clifton Branch & all online Askari Bank branches

For any queries about the emergency relief , Email quake-relief@thecitizensfoundation.org

Warm regards,

Mehvish Khan
Fundraising Consultant
Sarah Karim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Sungi: First Situation Analysis Report Reply with quote

I just received an email from SUNGI, an org working on the ground (I believe an ADP member was recommending them?). Thought you might be interested in the first initial assessment report they have conducted:

-Sarah

_________

Dear Friends,

Please find attached report

I will be send you regular updates

Francisco D'Sa
Sungi Development Foundation ( Secretariat)
Joint Action Committee for Relief Pakistan

First Situation Analysis Report
Dated: 8/10/2005
Gul Wali Khan - CRS
M. Idrees Khan Oxfam GB
Ali Gohar Khan - Oxfam GB
Sungi (National NGO) Team

Background:
On the morning of 8th October, 2005 a high intensity earth quake with 7.6 on rector scale struck the whole country and specifically northern district of NWFP, Federal Capital and Azad Kashmir. The devastation was also caused on the other side of the border in Kashmir valley.The most affected districts reportedly are Abbotabad, Mansehra, Battagram in Hazara divisio! n and Shangla in Swat, are the worst affected district in NWFP. Similarly Muzafarabad in Kashmir and federal capital were also hit badly by series of tremors. Epicenter of the earthquake was in Hindu kash range somewhere between Mansehra and Muzafarabad in North nearly 100 kms of Islamabad. It is worth to mention that most of these villages were also badly affected with the heavy snowfall and raining during December- January this year. Continuous tremors are coming with half an hour interval and people are compelled to live under open sky.

Since then there are continuous tremors and 20 after shocks have been felt during the whole day, which have traumatic affects on the affected people.

Late in the evening heavy rains and hailstorm complicated the situation and access to the remote places became more difficult. It has been reported by different sources that more than 70% katcha houses have been completely damaged and people are compelled to live outside of their houses in the open areas without any shelter. Due to l! andslide and bad weather, most of the access routs to remote area are blocked and inaccessible.
Due to rain and hailstorm, the temperature will further decreased particularly in upper hilly areas of Hazara and Swat which will deteriorate the situation further.

Abbotabad:
In abbottabad city 7 huge buildings including Best Western Hotel, Chin One, Dr. Plaza, large mosque, Gateway Public School, a guesthouse, a gym and addacent shops and flats, PICIC Bank etc. have been collapsed and many more houses and buildings are partially damaged and received huge cracks which compel people to live under the open sky.

60 people are reported dead and 300 injured which have been reported admitted in Ayub Medical College, Abbottabad. The government has established emergency cell and declared state of emergency in district hospital. Balakot and Galiyat are reported to be severely affected areas.

All regular patients and those who received injuries due to earthquake have been kept in tented wards due to crakes in the buildings and continuous tremors.

Heavy losses to infrastructures and livestocks are reported. However, the exact numbers will be determined at the later stage.

Mansehra:

The 150-bed District Hospital building has received serious cracks and all the patients were evacuated and kept in the open tented in the hospital compound. According to the MS, 270 injured and 7 dead reported till 6:00 pm in the evening. However the figure may increase many times as more patients were pouring in. Team of doctors and volunteers were providing treatment in the open area without proper equipment and arrangements. Though, they have stock of medicines in the hospital, but were running short of the following items as these medicines were not available in the Abbotabad and Manseh! ra markets:
o Gaypsona 6", 4"
o Crip Bandages 6"
o Cotton
o Cathederin 14, 16 12
o Urine bags

According to some report Batal and Garhi Habibullah are the worst affected part of the districts. According to some initial informations, two high schools buildings were fully collapsed in the Batal where in 150 children are reported dead and many more injured. A large number are also stranded under the debris.
Further to above, Balakot Tehsil (Baralkot, Utter sheesha, Batrasi, UC Mahandri, Jaraid, Paris and Dadhar are among the most affected areas. SUNGI staff have recovered 24 dead bodies from the debries in Dadhar. More villages beyond Dadhar are not accessible and there fears that many more ! people are dead.
In Dadhar and Batrasi roads are block and accessibility to the affected afreas is a big challenge.

Battagram:
Batagram is the most affected district in Hazara division being reportedly close to the epicenter of the earthquake. According to the Met department, the epicenter was between somewhere Mansehra and Muzafarabad.
100 deaths and 500 are reportedly injured in Batagram. This number are increasing with an alarming rate.
All the 20 Union Councils are badly hit and got severe destruction as per different sources of information including SUNGI's activists and staff. Hothal and Bazar villages are completely destroyed and at 2-3 person are dead in each house.
There are many remote villages like Bani and other villages in Alai Tehsil in general are among the worst affected areas.
The hospital building has been collapsed and the patients are reported being treated in the open sky with a very chaotic situation.
3 schools building are reportedly collapsed and many children are trapped. There are fears that many children may be dead or severely injured. No support has yet been reached due to difficult terrain and cut off roads and other infrastructure losese.

Shangla:

Shangla is reported to be the worst affected district in Swat Valley. Due to landslides, all main roads were closed and access to affected villages is becoming difficult. At evening, heavy hailstorm and raining exacerbated further the situation.

Provincial government has declared the state of emergency in the district. Initially the patients are being admitted in the local hospital in Alpuri and later 14 serious injured were shifted to Saidu Group of Hospital at Miongora.

According to the initial reports from different sources, 70 people reported dead and 144 are injured. Almost 75% katcha houses are reported collapsed.

Swat:

50 injured and 7 dead reported so far. 30 houses are completely destroyed in Matta area.
In Jehanzeb College in Mingora, the building received heavy cracks and 2 students jumped from upper story and broken their legs.

Immediate needs:
As per the initial information assessed, the following are the immediate needs:

Shelter (tents, reinforced plastic sheetings)
Medicines with particular focus on orthopadics and bandages etc.
Blankets/quilts
Jerricans
Food
Water and Sanitation

Available support:

Government is trying their best to provide relief assistance and clear the roads to enable access of relief to the victims in the remote areas. Provincial government high officials including Chief Minister NWFP has Aerial visit to the affected areas, but cut short his tour due to bad weather. Prime Minister and President are also expected to visit the area today (October 9, 2005).
Mahjabeen Quadri
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got this email through our website. While we cannot send money directly to her as she does not work with a recognized agency, she may be a useful contact on ground who could tell us what items are critical.

Are any ADP member in Lahore, Karachi or Islamabad interested in organizing together to have a blood, medicine or a food drive? Shamila may be able to pin point a few areas where releif teams are yet to reach.

Mahjabeen

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Oct 11, 2005 4:09 AM
Subject: RE: Earthquake in Pakistan
To: secretary@developpakistan.org

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your thoughts and efforts in providing assistance at this
extremely difficult time. I belong to Azad Kashmir and served in
Muzaffarabad and Mirpur as a judicial officer. I have been doing all I
can
to help people in the region and as I am based in Islamabad these days,
I
have been gathering all possible resources to provide all possible
assistance to the affectees. As you are aware, entire villages have
been
wiped out and thousands are injured and homeless. We have been trying
to
generate funds to send food and clothing to the victims and looking for
all
channels of assistance. We would be grateful for any assistance at all
that
you could provide. We have been sending all supplies to the affected
areas
through Islamic Relief and any other available channel. We require
tents and
blankets and medical help. If your organisation can help, I would
appreciate
an immediate response as assistance is required urgently.

I anxiously await your reply and look forward to hearing from you in
the
near future and hope that you can help us.

Regards,
Shamila Mahmood.
Roohi Abdullah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Eqbal Ahmad Foundation - update from Balakot and beyond Reply with quote

Just an e-mail update received from Pervez Hoodbhoy.

> From: Pervez Hoodbhoy [mailto:hoodbhoy@lns.mit.edu]
>
> Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 9:12 AM
>
> To: Pervez Hoodbhoy
>
> Subject: Earthquake - Balakot and Beyond
>
>
>
>
>
> Dear All,
>
>
>
> I am back from Balakot. We spent some of last night
> in ferrying the injured
>
> to Abbottabad at the request of the army. A second
> QAU team went to
>
> Muzzafarabad and beyond. Tomorrow 2 other teams will
> head back to these
>
> places. We hope to keep this going, although classes
> are scheduled to
>
> restart on Monday. This is the first time I can
> recall of ever wanting the
>
> university to stay shut longer.
>
>
>
> MY REPORT OF THE BALAKOT TRIP
>
>
>
> Four days later, they are still not even trying to
> extricate the dead. From
>
> under the rubble of collapsed buildings, a
> gut-wrenching smell of decaying
>
> corpses now fills the town. The rats have it good;
> the one I accidentally
>
> stepped upon was already fat. If there is indeed a
> plan to clear the
>
> concrete rubble in and around the town, nobody seems
> to have any clue. But
>
> the Balakotis are taking it in their stride - nose
> masks are everywhere.
>
>
>
> There is good news. The Mansehra to Balakot road
> stretch, finally forced
>
> open by huge army bulldozers and earth moving
> machinery, is now available to
>
> relief trucks. Goods donated across the country are
> piled to the truck
>
> roofs. If there ever was a time when the people of
> Pakistan moved together,
>
> this is it. Even the armed bandits who waylay
> relief supplies - to guard
>
> against whom soldiers with automatic weapons stand
> at alert every few
>
> hundred yards - cannot destroy the euphoria of
> having this solitary moment
>
> of unspoiled national unity.
>
>
>
> Aid from across the world is making its way, and the
> United States is here
>
> too. Double bladed Chinook helicopters, diverted
> from fighting Al-Qaida in
>
> Afghanistan, weave their way through the mountains.
> They fly over the
>
> heartland of jihad and the militant training camps
> in Mansehra to drop food
>
> and tents a few miles beyond. Temporarily birds of
> peace instead of war,
>
> they do immensely more to soothe the highly Islamic,
> highly conservative,
>
> bearded mountain people than the reams of silly
> propaganda on glossy paper
>
> put out by the US information services in Pakistan.
>
>
>
> Visibility makes relief choppers terrific
> propaganda, for good or for worse.
>
> This is undoubtedly why the Pakistani government
> refused an Indian offer to
>
> send in helicopters for relief work in and around
> Muzzafarabad, the
>
> flattened capital of Pakistani administered Kashmir.
> In spite of a much
>
> celebrated peace process, Pakistan has also not
> issued visas to Indian peace
>
> groups and activists that seek participation in the
> relief effort. Sandeep
>
> Pandey and other Indian activists are very
> frustrated.
>
>
>
> Islamic groups from across the country have arrived
> in vast numbers.
>
> Some bring relief supplies, others simply harangue
> poor goat herders and
>
> simple tillers of the soil to tell them that their
> misdeeds brought about
>
> this catastrophe. None seem to have an explanation
> for why God's wrath was
>
> especially directed to mosques, madrassas, and
> schools - all of which have
>
> collapsed in huge numbers. And none say why
> thousands of the faithful have
>
> been buried alive in this sacred month of fasting.
>
>
>
> Bad news: the aid is still too little, often of the
> wrong kind, and is not
>
> getting to those most affected. Hundreds of
> destroyed communities lie
>
> scattered deep in the mountains. We saw helicopters
> attempt aerial drops;
>
> landing is impossible in most places. But people
> told us that they often
>
> miss and the supplies land up thousands of feet
> below or in deep forests.
>
>
>
> Distribution is haphazard and uncoordinated, done
> with little thought. In
>
> Balakot we saw relief workers simply throw packets
> of food and clothes from
>
> the top of trucks, and a subsequent riot. Hustlers
> thrive, the weak watch
>
> passively. Tons of clothes, lovingly donated and
> packed by citizens around
>
> Pakistan, but mostly useless because of specific
> cultural and climatic
>
> conditions, are mixed and scattered with garbage and
> rubble throughout the
>
> town.
>
>
>
> I have mixed feelings about the army role. I did not
> see enough to
>
> validate a previous observation that they were
> shirking. But certainly, I
>
> did not see senior officers anywhere. The Edhi Trust
> gets full credit and
>
> more.
>
>
>
> For me personally, there was a sense of dejavu.
> Nearly 31 years ago, on 25th
>
> December 1974, a powerful earthquake had flattened
> towns along the Karakorum
>
> Highway killing nearly 10,000 people. I had traveled
> with a university team
>
> into the same mountains for similar relief work.
> Prime Minister Zulfiqar Ali
>
> Bhutto had made a passionate appeal for funds around
> the world, taken a
>
> token helicopter trip to the destroyed town of
> Besham, and made fantastic
>
> promises for rehabilitation. But then hundreds of
> millions of dollars in
>
> relief funds received from abroad mysteriously
> disappeared. Some
>
> well-informed people believe that those funds were
> used to kick off
>
> Pakistan's secret nuclear program.
>
>
>
> Shall the present government do better? This will
> only be if citizens, and
>
> international donors, demand transparency and
> accounts are available for
>
> public audit.
>
>
>
> The clock is ticking. In barely two months from now,
> the mountains will get
>
> their first snowfall and temperatures will plummet
> below zero. There are
>
> simply not enough tents, blankets, and warm clothes
> to go around.
>
> Hundreds of tent clusters have come up, but
> thousands of families remain out
>
> under the skies, facing rain and hail, and with
> dread in their hearts. These
>
> families have lost everything but the tattered
> clothes on their backs. Some
>
> even lost the land they had lived upon for
> generations - the top soil simply
>
> slid away, leaving behind hard rock and rubble.
> Those without shelter will
>
> die. From a special university fund we have pledged
> a dozen families to
>
> rebuild their houses. This number can be pushed up
> to fifty with the amount
>
> you have pledged so far (assuming Rs 50K per house,
> where the cost is for
>
> wood and stone mostly). But ten thousand or more
> will be needed in the
>
> Mansehra-Balakot-Kaghan area alone, not to speak of
> adjoining Kashmir.
>
>
>
> 1. I hope you will concur with the conclusion at the
> end of my report. What
>
> you and I can do is but a drop in the bucket.
> Please, let us not go for
>
> microdrops. Handing out relief supplies just isn't
> enough, and it left me
>
> with a sense of much dissatisfaction. Since it is
> the use of your money that
>
> I am suggesting, feel free to suggest or object. The
> responsibility of
>
> administering the program will be undertaken by
> others at QAU, and we might
>
> even need to hire local people dedicated to the job.
> I shall retain a
>
> distant supervisory role at most. No portion of the
> funds you have committed
>
> to me will be spent on administration and will be
> raised separately if
>
> necessary.
>
>
>
> 2. You have clear instructions at the end of this
> email as to where to send
>
> money. I will be gone again tomorrow and not
> available for 3 days. If there
>
> are remaining questions, please contact Zia Mian in
> the US
>
> <Zia@Princeton.edu> or A.H.Nayyar <nayyar@sdpi.org>
> in Islamabad. If you
>
> need my response, please wait until I return. This
> mailing list started at
>
> 40-odd friends, and is now quite a bt bigger.
>
>
>
> 3. This is no time for credits, but the QAU effort
> owes entirely to
>
> dedicated students, employees, and the tireless
> coordination efforts of the
>
> Academic Staff Association's president.
>
>
>
> 4. If your cheque is in rupees, send directly to me
> at the address below.
>
> Make it out to "Quaid-e-Azam University and Eqbal
> Ahmad Foundation
>
> Earthquake Relief Fund". Or shorten it to QAU-EAF
> Earthquake Relief Fund if
>
> it is too long for your cheque.
>
>
>
> Thanks again, and best regards. Pervez Hoodbhoy
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> That's all for now.
>
> ---------------
>
>
>
> Pervez Hoodbhoy
>
> Professor of Physics
>
> Quaid-e-Azam University
>
> Islamabad 45320, Pakistan.
>
> Phone (R): 92-51-2824257
>
> Phone (O): 92-51-2829914
>
>
>
>
>
>
> "This information is intended only for the person or
> entity to which it is addressed and may contain
> confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged
> material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination
> or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance
> upon, this information by persons or entities other
> than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
> received this in error, please contact the sender
> and delete the material from all computers."
>
>
M. Sajjad Haider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to let you guys know but ive been working with/thru sungi for the past week while i was in abbotabad. i actually made the report thats posted in one of the earlier posts. in due time i will give my recommendatons of how we can help them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Earthquake Relief All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: