Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Dil Project Feedback

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: DIL Project Feedback Reply with quote

We've received the second feedback report from DIL. It includes anecdotal impact of the first aid and healthcare training as well as reasons for student absenteeism by class.

The anecdotal data is encourauging, but I'm going to ask them for an honest assessment of whether and how we can make this more useful through a second round of training.

The last report did not have absenteeism data, so we'll have to wait for the next two reports to observe trends. It was interesting that "housework" was the third largest reason for absenteeism in the schools!

Please let me know if you have questions or suggestions on this so that I can combine them into a consolidated reply to DIL.

Cheers,
Tarim

ps: I'm also including the initial training feedback for reference.
Nadia Shaikh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarim, I was going over the book list by Nirali Kitabeen, they have a large collection of books dealing in Heath Education. In total they have 40 titles dealing on a range of issues incld Post Natal Care, Diet, First Aid, Care of Eyes, Diarrhea, Intestinal Worms, Diabetes, Common Child Sickness, Child Immunization, etc. In addition to the books they also carry Audio/Visual Aids.

May be the training program could benefit from these books and materials, or even suggest/give a set of books (not neccessarily all 40 titles) to the teachers. They could serve as good reference/refresher materials for the teachers.

Let me know what you think, and I can go and get more information on these books from NK.
Mubarik Imam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nadia!

Thanks for all the incredible work you've been doing!

The health books sound like a great idea. Btw, if you have any particular suggestions for which ones kids in rural areas should be taught let me know. I've been working on setting up science labs in rural areas in southern punjab. We are now working to expand the curriculum to include health education. If there's anything in particular for young girls.. lemme know cause they're given no health care knowledge in school.

thanks,
Mubarik
Nadia Shaikh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mubarik,

I have gone over the NK Health Education books. There are a few books relating to childcare that may interest teenage girls. How old are these girls? Most of the other titles seem to be dealing with general health care, diet and common ailments and diseases. Though since these girls are going to be mothers soon, just being aware of some of these issues/ailments would be beneficial for them.

For children, I think that you would be interested in general health care. Titles such as First Aid, Care of Eyes, Care of Teeth, Diet Principles, Primary Healthcare may be a good start.

Iíll list all the titles here (I have bolded the ones that I think might interest you); if you want me to get more information about any/all of these you can let me know. On average these books cost about Rs15-20.

There is also an urdu video on Family Planning (Rs.250), though that could be a little controversial esp in a rural setting. There are also some Punjabi videos (Diarrhea, TB) and audio cassettes (You & Your Midwife, Midwife nurse)

Health Education Titles
Drug Abuse
You & Your Midwife
You & Your Baby (Urdu & English)
Post Natal Care
Motherís Milk
Childrenís immunization
Solid Food for Babies
Child Health Principles
Primary Health Care
Common Sickness, Child
Diarrhea
Diet Principles
Share Family Food
First Aid
Care of Eyes
Care of Teeth

Ear, Nose, Throat
Diseases of Stomach
Diseases of the Liver
Intestinal Worms
Diabetes
Cancer
Heart Diseases
Kidney Stones
Skin Diseases
Backache
Moment for Thought
Midwife Nurse
TB
Polio
Leprosy
Caring Mother/Child
Aids
Deafness & Hearing Problems
Birth Defects
Mental Retardation
Fits and Epilepsy
Iodine Deficiency
Mubarik Imam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Nadia,

Thanks so much for looking into this Smile. The girls are between 13 and 16 years old studying in grades 8,9 and 10. I'll get the books when I get to Pakistan.

Videos would be great but the schools currently don't have TVs and VCRs. Punjabi videos/audio cassettes sound like a good idea, since thats their mother tongue.

Thanks again for your help.

-Mubarik
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: re: Reply with quote

Nadia,

Using the NK books at DIL is a great idea. I've sent them an e-mail asking if they're interested. Will let you know what I find out.

Thanks,
Tarim
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: DIL's reply on NK books Reply with quote

Interesting. Below is the reply from DIL to our suggestion for using NK books. Do you think the capacity of the book binding unit at NK is the constraint on their ability to print more copies, or might there be some other ways we can help them meet demand? This would be the first step to helping them achieve sustainability.

-----Original Message-----
From: Developments in Literacy [mailto:dilorg@brain.net.pk]
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 12:09 AM
To: twasim@mba2005.hbs.edu
Subject: Nirali Kitabein

Dear Mr. Tarim,

We heard of Nirali Kitabein and saw their books on health, infact we even ordered some for our partner NGO's. The letter we sent to Nirali ordering the books is attached.
After many follow up e-mails and phone calls, they told us that they did not have enough copies and so couldnt send the books.

Regards,
Jalila Tariq Kamal
Programme Coordinator
Developments in Literacy-Pakistan

----- Original Message -----
To: 'Developments in Literacy (DIL)'
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 2:11 AM
Subject: Hi there!

Tauseef/Jalila,

Hope you are both doing well. Thanks a lot for sending the second quarterly report on the IRC/NOWA/FES healthcare training. I've shared it with our members and wanted to get back to you with feedback as well as some ideas for further collaboration. I've been quite busy at school with events and in fact just concluded the first South Asian conference at Harvard this weekend. We were fortunate to have five Pakistani panelists including Fauzia Naqvi from the World Bank here.

Anyway, enough rambling from me. Here goes...

HC Report Feedback

We were pleased to see the positive feedback from teachers and read that that they're finding the training helpful in their day-to-day experience.
Also great to see that we're gathering the absenteeism/causes data from IRC. Are teachers/monitors finding the forms to be a burden, or has monitoring been manageable? Also, have we received comparable data from FES and NOWA?
On the forms itself, there were a few questions:
a) Since each column adds up to total absent, are we tracking illnesses only when a student is absent? For example, if a student shows up to school with an eye infection, it is not included in these stats?

b) Is it possible to add a row with total enrollment by grade as well so that we can understand % absenteeism?
c) Also, just to clarify: Is the 397 total based on the aggregate absents over the course of 66 working days?

Most importantly, we'd like DIL's thoughts on the effectiveness of the overall program. Do you feel that follow-ons are needed, and if so, what changes would you suggest?

Health Books from Nirali Kitabein?
ADP is currently evaluating a project from Nirali Kitabein, a Lahore-based adult literacy NGO. In going through their work, we came across a large number of health education books that they have developed. In total they have 40 titles dealing on a range of issues including Post Natal Care, Diet, First Aid, Care of Eyes, Diarrhea, Intestinal Worms, Diabetes, Common Child Sickness, Child Immunization, etc. They also carry Audio/Visual Aids on these topics. We were wondering whether DIL teachers could benefit from these books and materials as part of follow-on training or reference material in the school. Let us know if you're interested and we can discuss.

DIL Volunteer from Harvard?
This came up a few weeks ago and seemed like a great fit for DIL. A friend at Harvard, Rameez Qudsi is a pre-med interested in spending a few weeks this summer doing first-aid training in rural Pakistan. He is a certified trainer and may be able to get 2-3 other students from the US to accompany him as well. Rameez is very smart and likeable, and could help DIL with follow-on first aid/healthcare trainings this summer. Let me know what you think. We'll be happy to facilitate as much as possible. I am also copying Rameez on this e-mail so that the two of you can connect directly.

That's it from me. Sorry for the long e-mail, but I hope you found it worth the read!

Best,
Tarim

www.DevelopPakistan.org
Tarim Wasim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Response from DIL Reply with quote

I will ask them for more specific ideas on follow-on trainings...

-----Original Message-----
From: Developments in Literacy [mailto:dilorg@brain.net.pk]
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 1:29 AM
To: twasim@mba2005.hbs.edu
Subject: ADP Health program

Dear Mr. Tarim,

Hope you are doing well.

We have recieved the same kind of data from NOWA, as was we did from IRC. However, due to the fact that we are no longer working with FES we cannot get the forms that the teachers had submitted to them. But we have talked to the teachers in Orangi and they said that they would redo the forms and send them to us again.

As for the questions on the forms,

1. While developing the forms, we thought it was best to take into account only the more serious illnesses that affect the students attendance. We assume that if a child is well enough to attend school he has only got a minor ailment and we do not record that data. Plus that way it becomes too complicated for the teacher.

2. I have added a row into the Quarterly form, and I will send it to our Partner NGO's and ask them to fill in the total enrollment of each class also so that you can see the % absenteeism. (The form is attached )

3. Yes, the 397 is the total based on aggregate absenteeism over the course of the 66 working days.

And lastly, the teacher gave us alot of positive feedback, they said that the training has helped them to a large extent. They found the preventative measures to be taken very beneficial to them and maybe would like to have trainings on more details on the topic. Other than that the teachers have been teaching the mothers all that they had learnt, so entire communities are benefitting from the training.

Regards,
Jalila Tariq Kamal
Programme Coordinator
Developments in Literacy
Nadia Shaikh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK had mentioned that space constraints and a temp binding unit were one of the reasons for them being behind on some orders. I'll talk to them tomorrow and get more information on how this problem can be addressed and if we can help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Approved All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: