Forums Index Association for the Development of Pakistan
Discussion Forums

ADP WebsiteADP Website   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Musical Evening With Muni Begum
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bilal Arif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Musical Evening with Muni Begum Reply with quote

Hi guy's.

I spoke with Muni Begum last night and she has accepted in principle to do a concert on Saturday, June 4th for ADP. If we really have to, we can push the date a week or perhaps two weeks further. I negotiated with her the best I could and agreed to the following:

1- She would charge ADP $3000, which includes airfare for her and her crew of 3 or 4.
2- ADP will provide 2 night (Friday and Saturday night) hotel stay for her and Saturday night (1 room) for her crew.

The total that we are looking at is approximately $3500.

I think this is a great opportunity for ADP to get publicity and generate funds. However in order to make this event successful, the following needs to happen:

1- Venue for the event is in my mind is the single most important factor. It would be great to get MIT auditorium, it has capacity for 700-800 people and has the build in sound system. This needs to happen ASAP.

2- Finding sponsors for the event. It would nice to get sponsors to pay for Muni Begums fee. We can talk about it later, but at the moment I am thinking about targeting restaurants, business etc. However, this can only happen once we have a venue selected and booked.

3- Marketing and sales. I think we all know how important this is. Again, the venue needs to be selected prior to initiating this effort.

What I understand, last time (which is I think was a year ago) when Muni Begum was in town, the show was sold-out. I think we can attain the same level of success if we do this right. I need to get back to her by April 26th to confirm. This gives us less than two weeks to come up with a strategy that is if we want to pursue this. In my opinion, if we can secure a venue by this time, we should be in good shape.

What do you guys think?
Adnan Khalid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this sounds great!

Like you said Bilal the success of this event will depend on the whether we can get a good and affordable venue or not. The MIT auditorium has everything going for it as long as we can get. It is the right size, has a perfect location and hopefully we can get it at a rate much lower than other commercial venues.

I don't know which one of our members can help us book a room at MIT. (Mubarik perhaps?) Given the short amount of time we have to react to this do you think we should call a meeting soon just to discuss this event or would you rather first contact individual members directly in order to get the MIT auditorium booked?

-adnan
Bilal Arif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adnan,

I think meeting is not a bad idea, the earlier the better. Maybe this Friday, I do not mind having people at my house for tea and stuff. You are right about the timing, therefore I would urge folks that have contacts and can reserve MIT or perhaps another auditorium to maybe start the process now. It would be nice if we don't have to pay for it but that might not be possible, we have to find out soon though.

Like I mentioned, it seems like we can push the event a week or two if it can help us reserve the right venue.
Omar Biabani

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news Bilal !!

Here is what is going through my mind Venue Venue and Venue. Like you said, the rest revolves around that. The last time Munni begum came here was actually in 2001 , so its been a while since people got to see and listen her. It was at an MIT lecture rooms. The capacity in my opinion was around 200. It was sold out for sure.

In comparision, MIT's Kresge auditorium seats 1216 !! The tough part would be to get it during the summer one a Saturday night !! There are two ways to go about this,

1) Get in touch with Paksmit and have them reserve the auditorium. If an MIT-registered organization reserves it, I believe it is free of charge. Correct me here Mubarik.

2) I can get in touch with AID Boston as they are registered at MIT. They may be able to get it done faster than paksmit (if we can get it that is.) Again, Mubarik what do you think?

I am doing the rough math in my head as

Cost = 3500 (Fees) + 500 (Misc) + 400 (10% error margin) ~ $4500

If we can sell 400 tickets at $30 a piece we get $12,000. This doesnt include any sponsorship etc. If we do it right, we may end up generating ~ 10K from this event.

Bilal, send out an email to ADPnet as well and refer this thread in that email so that others get on board asap.

Let me know how I can help with this.
Henna Butt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bilal this is amazing!

only thing i would mention is be careful about what rules MIT has with using their venue. When i had asked about using the hall for the film screening they had an issue with charging an entrance fee. Perhaps though by doing it through PAKSMIT we can avoid this. Just something to think about. Please let me know if you need me to start contacting vendors for sponsorship.

Thanks
Henna
Natasha Waliany

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is wonderful news! We should definitely grab this opportunity. Her last concert I remember was jam-packed and a huge success. Let me know how I can help.
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, Bilal!

I have a guest this weekend, so I can't make it to the meeting tonight. But, let me know how I can help with the logistics...

Depending on how you want to market, I can offer a Design & Co. designer at cost (plus, she'll prob reduce her rate a bit for ADP).

If we think the concert is promising enough, we could postpone the idea of spending on a general mailer, and put the money towards marketing here...

~Justin
Omar Biabani

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to "Guidebook to Planning Events at MIT"

http://web.mit.edu/campus-activities/www/misc/guidebook2004.pdf

This has important information regarding booking rooms, room capacities and other general tips for organizing an event at MIT.

Here is a list of MIT auditoriums.

http://web.mit.edu/campus-activities/www/html/cacframeset1.html
Bilal Arif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not able to talk with Muni Begum personally but spoke with a friend who helped me get in touch with her last Sunday. Based on our phone conversation, it seems like September might work however, he needs to get back to me to confirm.

As for the venue, I have not heard anything from either BU or Simons.
Bilal Arif

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy's,

Muni Begum has tentatively agreed to perform for our cause this September. However, due to September being a busy time for her she needs ADP to provide her with set time/date and also $1500 up front.

We need to finalize the details at the upcoming meeting on Sunday.
Mubarik Imam

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: mit venue Reply with quote

hi,

sorry haven't been checking the forums regularly.. my tripos exams just ended. i can look into reserving a room at mit, if you still want me to. do we have a particular date in mind yet?
Bilal Arif

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy's,

We have the option to rent Cohen hall at Tufts University for September 10th, 2005. It seats approximately 600 people (400 on the ground floor and 200 in the balcony). The rent for the hall is $1000 dollars and does not include sound and lighting system. A rough estimate provided by Tufts University for sound and lighting is approximately $800-$1500 depending on musicianís requirements. I am meeting Tufts event organizing team this Tuesday and will get more information.

I left a message for Muni Begum and will find out this week if she is available for September 10th.

So we are looking at about $2500 for the venue, $3000 for Muni Begum and $500 for her logging. We need to finalize if the above amount (total roughly 6K) and date is acceptable as soon as possible so I can move forward. Please inform me in a day or two if you have any questions/concerns. I want to make sure that we are all are on the same page before I contact Muni Begum and confirm the reservation for the venue.

Bilal
Justin Stone

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bilal,

I love the exposure this will create for ADP, and I think it's exactly the kind of event ADP should be sponsoring to raise funds and build awareness.

Does everyone feel comfortable that we will sell enough seats to justify the expense? We need to allow for some contingency beyond the base $6000 cost. If we only sell 300 seats at $30 per, the maximum profit will be $3000. I wouldn't object to this, except I'm similarly concerned about the ADP hours that will go into coordinating and promoting the event...

Of course, if we sell all 600 seats, the funds raised would be terrific - $10k or more!

What are your thoughts?

~Justin
Bilal Arif

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin,

6K is the cost for this event without any sponsors, which I am confident we will be able to find. Once we finalize the details, our next step should be marketing and fundraising (sponsors).

I agree with you that in order for this event to be successful, a great deal of work will be required from ADP members. But I think we can handle it, I am not worried Cool

Bilal
Bilal Arif

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

I went to see Cohen Hall at Tufts University and am pretty content with the venue. If anyone else wants to see the location, let me know and I can arrange it. In order to secure the venue we have to pay $500 by the end of June and remaining $500 a week before the event.

Also, I should hear from Muni Begum this week. If all goes well, we do have to write her a check for $1500 upfront and $1500 on September 10th. Incase September 10th is not suitable for her, I have September 17th reserved as well.

As Justin mentioned above, there is much to do for this event to be successful. I would like to make this the main topic of discussion for our next meeting.

Let me know if you have any questions/comments.

Bilal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums Index -> Events All times are (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: